Class Notes Opener Photo

In 1897, three young men — perhaps students from the nearby New Hampshire College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts — paddled a canoe on the Oyster River at Route 108. At right is Ffrost's Store, built in 1799; it eventually housed a warehouse, store and post office. An upper floor extended over the water and goods could be hauled up from gundalows below through a trap door. The bridge in the photo was built in 1744 as a 15-foot-wide cart and horse bridge. in June 2007, a plaque with a reproduction of the John Hatch mural o this waterfront was installed on the Oyster River Landing. A poster of the Hatch mural is available at

Larger image